PRETERNATURAL ENVIRONMENTS: DREAMSCAPES, ALTERNATE REALITIES, LANDSCAPES OF DREAD
Call for Papers for a special issue of Preternature (Issue 6.1)
Preternatural Environments: Dreamscapes, Alternate Realities, Landscapes of Dread
Deadline for submissions: March 1, 2016.
This special issue of Preternature seeks papers that examine elements and/or depictions of the preternatural in all sorts of environments. Scholars are increasingly drawing attention to the importance of spaces and their contexts, the stories we tell about them, and our interactions with them. This volume focuses on preternatural aspects of natural and unnatural environments such as dreamscapes, alternate worlds, and eerie landscapes.
Papers should investigate the connections between preternatural environments and literary, historical, anthropological, and artistic forms of understanding. Topics might include, but are not limited to:
· * Defining the “preternatural environment” / preternatural aspects of an environment.
· * Superstition and spaces.
· * Demonic domains.
· * Artistic representations of preternatural environments across the ages.
· * Aspects of the uncanny in various physical settings.
· * The pathetic fallacy and narrative theory.
· * “Unnatural” landscapes and environments.
· * Bridging natural and preternatural spaces.
· * Preternatural ecology and ecocriticism.
· * Connections between material environments, literary narratives, and the preternatural.
· * Eerie landscapes as characters or significant presences in literature, history, and culture.
· * How preternatural environments inform human behaviour, or how behaviour informs preternatural environments.
Preternature welcomes a variety of approaches, including narrative theory, ecocriticism, and behavioural studies from any cultural, literary, artistic, or historical tradition and from any time period. We particularly encourage submissions dealing with non-Western contexts.
Contributions should be 8,000 – 12,000 words, including all documentation and critical apparatus.
For more information, see: http://www.psupress.org/journals/jnls_submis_Preternature.html or submit directly at: https://www.editorialmanager.com/preternature/default.aspx.
Preternature is published twice annually by the Pennsylvania State Press and is available through JSTOR and Project Muse. This periodical is also indexed in the ATLA Religion Database® (ATLA RDB®), http://www.atla.com.
Preternature: Critical and Historical Studies on the Preternatural can be viewed at: https://muse.jhu.edu/journals/preternature/
‘Human Herbs’ – a song by Cold Hands & Quarter Moon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au-vyMtfDAs
Posted here by Glenn Rikowski
Glenn Rikowski @ Academia: http://independent.academia.edu/GlennRikowski
Ruth Rikowski @ Academia: http://lsbu.academia.edu/RuthRikowski
Ruth Rikowski at Serendipitous Moments: http://ruthrikowskiim.blogspot.co.uk/